Child Custody

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Can an Older Child Decide Which Parent to Live With?

The answer is — it depends.

Divorced parents of an older child are often confronted with the child’s desire to live with the noncustodial parent. In some ways this desire stems from the natural developmental need to be somewhere — in fact anywhere— other than where the child is are right now. In other cases, an older child wants to strengthen the bond with a noncustodial parent. Either way, parents often want to know how much of that decision is up to the child.
Read more . . .

Monday, December 9, 2013

Plugged-in Parenting — Is Virtual Visitation the New Reality?

While virtual visitation — also called Internet visitation — has become a common term thrown around divorce courts throughout the country, New Jersey is especially keen for this innovative and controversial approach to shared parenting.
Read more . . .

Monday, November 25, 2013

Emancipation of a Child in New Jersey by a Parent or Guardian

In New Jersey, there is no set age at which a minor child becomes emancipated. Emancipation is defined as the time a child moves out of the sphere of influence of the parents. For legal purposes, this means that the child does not live with the parents, is not financially dependent on the parents, and the parents are not obligated to pay child support on the child’s behalf. Children officially become emancipated only when the court declares them so.
Read more . . .

Monday, November 18, 2013

Other Things your Divorce Lawyer can do for you

When you are going through a divorce, your attorney traditionally assists you with division of assets, child custody, and child and spousal support. In addition to these matters, your divorce attorney can help you with many adjunct services that you might want to address at this time.
Read more . . .

Monday, November 11, 2013

Transporting Minor Children Between Parents

When parents are divorcing and are creating a parenting plan, there are times when they must negotiate sending children significant distances for visits. New Jersey’s laws governing custody and parenting time specify that both parents should spend significant quality time with their children.

Read more . . .

Monday, November 4, 2013

Determining Child Support Payments

Through the Department of Human Services, New Jersey offers help for obtaining and modifying child support. Parents can estimate their child support obligation or income upon divorce by using the tools on this site. A judge, however, sets the final amount after considering all of the circumstances pertaining to the divorce petition.
Read more . . .

© 2024 Murano & Roth, LLC
800 Kinderkamack Road, Suite 202N, Oradell, NJ 07649
| Phone: 201.265.3400

Attorney Profiles | Divorce | FAQs